We got some Stellaris boards from Texas Instruments. Two each, of course. We put ‘em in the closet until the dev chain matures. After getting a nudge from miceuz, I finally decided to try it out. It turns out that setting up on Arch Linux has now become trivial.
There are many ways to get it working. I prefer open-source. The AUR is a total mess of EABI packages. As per cross-compiling tool guidelines, the proper name for this toolchain is
arm-none-eabi (if no vendor is specified). This name is taken by the Sourcery CodeBench stuff. Note also that it’s a binary redistribution.
Another set of packages (more widely adopted) is
cross-arm-none-eabi-*. This is what I want. It is based on the summon-arm-toolchain script and uses the GCC toolchain.
So, the procedure.
- As a bare minimum, get the following from AUR:
- For debugging, also get these:
openocd-git. I asked veox to pack the latter. By the time you read this, the stable
communitywill probably support Stellaris, so just use
pacman. There is also
lmicdiusb-git, but I haven’t tried that.
- Add a udev rule, so you don’t have to
sudoall the time.
- Test your debugger. As per the guide, I used stellaris-launchpad-template-gcc to avoid obscure TI licenses.